Songs, Shadows, and Serling

1. He Came from Rock, Sweet Mary Rachel
2. Just Too Much

I'm so excited to report that SerlingFest is no longer just an idea. I've purchased my event ticket, reserved my room, and arranged for time off from work. Now it's down to the final details- bus tickets, packing, business cards, and counting down the days.

These are the latest pieces I'm bringing with me so far, just recently finished. The first one, He Came From Rock, Sweet Mary Rachel, inspired by Twilight Zone episode Come Wander with Me, (s5e34) and Just Too Much inspired from I am the Night, Color Me Black (s5e26). 

In the first one, I wanted to draw and somehow replicate Bonnie Beecher's beautiful eyes, but then thought it best to use an actual photo. She appears twice here and a little unclear, just as I wanted her to be conveyed. Mary Rachel's face slightly dissolves while 50's Rock & Roll images fly across her, including a subtle nod to Alan Freed, prominent disc jockey who helped popularize the term "Rock & Roll". The broken word of Freed (at first a clumsy accident on my part), carries another meaning: neither Floyd nor Mary Rachel are ever truly "freed" from the fate that repeatedly awaits them. She sings, "He came from my sorrow...to love only me" but I can't help thinking no, Mary Rachel. He didn't come from the sunset, the sea, or even your sorrow. He came to these backwoods looking for a guaranteed hit song. All he sees are dollar signs when he hears your beautiful melody, and he'll say anything to get it. Even, "Sure I love you, Mary Rachel." And even if your souls are truly bound like you say they are, he doesn't see that. Where he really comes from at this point- is the fast, commercial world of Rock-n-Roll.



Just Too Much was done on the same type of wooden material. Originally I marked it all pink, purple and black, and not to create any statement or piece in particular, I just did that pattern with my sister in my mind, who gravitates towards those tones. Lively, fun, and vibrant. Months later with these episodes on my mind, I purposely ruined it by dumping bruised blacks and blues with paint, crayons, and markers. The lively pinks and purples merely peek out now, becoming swallowed by the gloom and doom. At least I took a photo of it beforehand and one day I will make another fun painting for my sister, like I've done before. I just felt compelled to change this one up and include it in the narrative of I Am the Night, Color Me Black. 

Inspired by one of Serling's bleakest episodes, the first time I caught it was in the early 2000’s during one of syfy's 4th of July Twilight Zone marathons (probably spelled Sci-Fi then). We made our usual hot dogs in our Brooklyn apartment and went up to the roof that night night, gathering with our fellow tenants to watch the fireworks- and views of the Verrazano Bridge, Coney Island, and a glimpse of the Macy's show. When I went back downstairs to #3G, The Twilight Zone marathon was still playing in the living room and I sleepily caught the last few episodes. I Am the Night, Color Me Black was the very last one they played at around 5:30am and it blew me away. Particularly the way Reverend Anderson (Ivan Dixon) tells the blood-thirsty town that too much hate is what's causing the impending darkness in the morning sky.


The video is not coming out here, so captioned photos it is
 
And so I wanted to press upon this, and dump layers of black and bruised purples with a splattering of the words "It's Too Much" repeating and getting swallowed by the weight of the darkness. Hatred, prejudice, fear. Serling imagined these emotions becoming so overwhelming they could blot out the sun.

Serling understood how much our hatred, songs, and choices have a way of taking over if we let it. 

I'm glad I was able to complete these just before making the trip. Let's see if I have another one or two left in me. And whether they remain part of my creative journey or become conversation starters with fellow fans, they've already deepened my appreciation for Rod Serling's storytelling and the lasting echoes his work continues to leave behind.

And as always, thank you for wandering with me:) I'll be sure to keep you posted...


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Queen Between Moves ๐Ÿ‘‘

"Don't Paint the Sun Anymore!"

MTV, the Moon Man, and the Art of Collage